Here is a recipe for a cheap family night of entertainment
1. Tell your family that you are going to have a family fun night, but first tell them ya’ll need to work together as a team to clean the kitchen (or whatever room of your house must be cleaned up). This is about the only way I’ve found to get cleaning done without any hassle from anyone. If they know something fun is coming they’re more likely to whistle while they work.
2. Poll your family what they would like to have for supper. My family chose taco dip. Luckily, I had almost everything needed to make taco dip already on-hand. Some other fun choices are upside-down pizza in a cup, French bread pizza, or delivery pizza.
To make easy taco dip, mix the cream cheese, sour cream, and taco seasoning packet with a whisk. Spread refried beans in the bottom of the bowl. Spread the cream cheese mixture on the refried beans. Top with cheddar cheese. If I had gone to the store to get the ingredients for taco dip, I would have also added lettuce, salsa, black olives, green onions, and cilantro, but only on three of ours because the fourth person does not like anything that resembles a fruit or vegetable in any way.
4. Do a family drawing. Each family member gets a blank piece of paper and crayons. Decide on a set amount of time to draw. We do about two minutes. When two minutes is up, everyone passes their paper to the right. Then set the timer again for two minutes and draw on the previous person’s paper. Continue to do this as long as you see fit. We usually do it so each drawing goes around the table twice. We keep our family drawings in a binder so we can look back at the creativity and fun we’ve had before.
5. Play an engaging game like Ruckus, charades, or The Story Telling Game.
6. Share in a special dessert like orange sherbet cake, ice cream, or a Little Debbie snack cake.
7. This step is essential if you have children that need some transition time between fun and bed. Watch a movie or favorite family tv show together while snuggled up on the couch.
Hope you try this family fun night!