Welcome to Project Pinterest!
Poor Ryan has had an ugly plain roll-up shade for as long as we've been here.
It was one of those deals where it was supposed to be a temporary window covering, but I guess we've just never gotten around to taking care of it.
First I ironed the very thin fleece fabric. I do not iron so this was the hardest part of the project for me!
There were a few repair issues that needed to be addressed. Like a true "let's get this done quickly" kind of DIY gal, I used my trusty Scotch tape.
I vacuumed the floor first so the fabric wouldn't be all full of dog hair. With my son's help, I put the fabric on the floor and the placed the shade on top of the fabric. I measured the actual length of the window so I would know how far to go with the fabric since you don't have to put fabric on the part that doesn't roll out. Make sense?
Would you believe my glue gun quit working at this point? Yes it did. I was so aggravated that I was willing to try anything. Elmer's All-Purpose glue it was going to have to be! Once I get going on a project all I want to do is be done with it. I am not what you'd call a detail-oriented person.
So, I applied glue to the shade the laid it on the fabric and smoothed it out as I went along. I started at the top part of the shade.
Periodically, I rolled the shade tightly to ensure the fabric was adhering to the shade.
After the glue had dried (in hindsight, it would've been prudent to wait to get a new glue gun) I hung the shade back up without any problem. It rolled up perfectly! That was my only worry that the fabric would make the rolled up shade too thick and it wouldn't roll back up well. This was no problem though.
This was such a simple and great project. Ryan's shade looks much better and he likes the fabric we picked out. He was pleased. I would highly recommend this project if you already have roll up shades and want to spruce up the shade without purchasing new window coverings.